Functional gastrointestinal disorders and associated health impairment in individuals with celiac disease

Clinical Gastroenterology and HepatologyParker S, Palsson O, Sanders DS, et al. | July 21, 2021

Advertisement

Despite adhering to a gluten-free diet (GFD), persisting gastrointestinal symptoms may occur in individuals with celiac disease (CD). Functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGIDs) may explain these persisting symptoms, Researchers herein investigated the prevalence of FGIDs and the associated factors. Adult members of Celiac UK completed an online health questionnaire in October 2018. They assessed a total of 863 individuals with CD (73% female, mean-age 61 years); optimal adherence to a GFD was reported in 61% (n = 523) with the remaining 39% (n = 340) non-adherent. Observations revealed presence of ongoing symptoms compatible with a Rome IV FGID in one-in-two people with CD, despite having been on a GFD for a number of years and showing optimal adherence. This indicates two-fold odds of FGIDs relative to age- and gender- matched controls. Observations revealed association of the presence of FGIDs with significant health impairment, including psychological co-morbidity. They suggest addressing disorders of gut-brain interaction as possibly beneficial for improving outcomes in this specific group of patients.

Read the full article on Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology

Advertisement